Recommendation of when to use COVID-19 tests over winter break:
- If you feel sick, test. Test again 1-2 days later if the first test is negative
- If you were exposed, test when you find out and repeat every 2 days for a total of 3 tests
- For return to school, test the night before (or morning of) return AND repeat 2 days later
You can use any at-home test. Bring your MediCal or Medicare card to a pharmacy to ask for free tests, or check with your insurance plan for up to 8 free (or reimbursed) at-home tests a month.
- Stay home from school, follow isolation guidance, let your school know
- Ages 12-49 with medical conditions, or older than 50? Ask about treatment! FREE medications for COVID-19 are safe and highly effective at preventing serious illness, and help you test negative sooner.
- Find ways to get treatment at https://covid19.ca.gov/
Negative test but COVID-19 symptoms?
- Stay home from school until you feel better and at least 24 hours after fever is gone
- Re-check with a repeat COVID-19 test in 1-2 days.